Interview wirh NZ Idol's Robin Johnson

Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 by MiKey in Labels: , , , ,
0


Okay IdolPhenomena followers I know it’s been a while since I promised this but here it is my 08 Interview with Robin Johnson. Check It.


IP: How has the overall NZ Idol audition process affected your life today?
RJ: Most importantly I think out of the whole process I found out who I am as a song writer, entertainer and vocalist. I know what I want out of my career which I think is the most valuable lesson you can learn especially since I’m only 22.
The recognition for my music and what I do has been really great for me even though on a small scale...and the appreciation from the fans has been amazing other than that my life is still the same. I think with fame you realize who your true friends are you lose many make many and it’s all a beautiful process good and bad its life...and it’s mine and I’m much the wiser man for it.

IP: What is your most notable memory of the audition process?
RJ: Up till Top 10 I’m not sure but after that it was the free stuff! Oh and just probably being in the recording studio with the esteemed producers and such.

IP: Are there any idol hopefuls that you still keep in contact with today?
RJ: Yup, not all from my season but mainly Ariana Roberts, Ben Lummis, and Rosita Vai.

IP: What is the current project you are working on?
RJ: My EP which I have been working on for years now! but I have a couple songs I’m working on with other artist i.e. PNC, Kid Deft (fast crew) as a producer as well...you can check out my song 'bubblegum' on my MySpace. (www.myspace.com/robinjohnsonepic)


IP: What advice would you give to someone with the dream of being on Idol?
RJ: I would say if they wanted to win that they should stay ultra humble and spare no expense in your preparation. Song choices is so imperative so look at the charts and see what kind of music your country is into and interpret it your own way...take risks be memorable in your performance.... Guy Sebastian told me big notes get votes so make sure every arrangement has something memorable and distinguishably you, also don’t be afraid to get ugly, there is no vanity on stage but don’t be too in the camera behind the scenes an audience will love you if you are undeniably you.

IP: Who was your favorite contestant throughout the audition process?
RJ: Ummm some contestants proved to be more than just competition to me and have become very close friends, Ariana Roberts my guiding angel for sure and the bro Ben Lummis is like the Daddy of idol in our country and I really admire his level headedness and consistency.

IP: Who is your idol/role model and how have they inspired you?
True story.... before I was even on idol it was Guy Sebastian I remember my mum bought me his CD for Christmas when I was 17 and that helped me decide to be on idol and when I got to meet him I nearly died hahaha I was 17 so....go figure but his vocal style has really helped me develop my own. Also there are the obvious ones.... Michael, JT, Lauryn Hill, Stevie Wonder, Boys 2 Men.

IP: Which idol contestant are you listening to in your cd/mp3 player?
RJ: Fantasia!!!! That biatch is amazing, her performances are always spirit shakers aye! But to compete with that there is a Guy Sebastian CD in every CD player in my house in my car Etc I can’t get enough especially his second album which was in part produced by Robin Thicke someone I also really like and he has my name I took that as some sort of sign hahaha.

IP: Anything else you would like to share with our readers?
RJ: I think one of the most important things to remember being an idol no matter how far you get, is that it is really only the beginning of not just your career but your life and that you should NEVER give up! Not to mention you have to make the opportunities happen no one can take that exposure away from you whether they love you or hate you. The New Zealand music industry is a hard place to survive no one here buys CD's and everyone has a computer....so you do the math....you might have a number one hit and still work in retail the rest of your life.... so straight up.... if you really want to make something of it whether you win or not you WILL have to leave at some stage to hit it big and that’s just the honest truth..... I suggest you negotiate your record deal thoroughly or go independent in NZ, Get a hard headed manager to back you up (someone who is an ass hole :P) and include some sort of international distribution even if it’s just to Australia ya know ? That’s my next stop Sydney 2009 I’m coming peeps. :D '


And readers "Bubble Gum" is a hot track. It's definitely a hot dance track. So check it out here on Robin's YouTube page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ldwA2mNIKk


Also check Robin on Twitter @whatsrobdoing to follow his latest and greatest.


Photo Credit: Ben Silcock

0 comments: