Interview With Samantha Musa

Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 by MiKey in Labels: , , , , ,
0

Hey!! IdolPhenomena followers here it is like I promised my interview with Samantha Musa. If you are unaware of who Samantha Musa is she is a shy girl who works for the non-profit sector out in L.A. However, she is also an aspiring singer who has auditioned for both season 7 and 9 of American Idol. Just recently within the last several hours was featured in a montage where Simon runs his fingers down Ellen’s legs. In the montage she is singing Closer along with her group members Keanna O’Quinn and Brittany Starr James- Shout Outs to them :-) !


IP: How has the overall American Idol audition process affected your life today?

SM: More than anything, I think the audition process on American Idol (both this season and back in season 7) has really increased my confidence and belief in myself--which is something that is slowly affecting all aspects of my life! Sadly, I am not the most confident person. I am usually extremely shy, not willing to break out of my shell, and pre-occupied with what people think about me. So this audition experience has forced me to be outgoing and it has helped me truly recognize my vocal talent. I mean, if the judges gave me compliments and put me through to the top 74 out of thousands upon thousands of people, I must have something unique about me and I must be a decent singer!...Right?? :)


IP: What is your most notable memory of the audition process?

SM: My most notable memory from the audition process this year would have to be my final audition in Hollywood Week. I usually always walk off stage slightly unhappy, critical of my performance, and beating myself up trying to think about what I could have done differently. But after my final performance of the week, I walked off of the stage very confident and truly thrilled about what I had left with the judges! This truly was a defining moment me. I think that I knew that the final audition/performance this year could be my last opportunity to sing on the Kodak Theatre stage, so I wanted to take in the moment, give it my all, and feel great about what I had given. After that moment, I knew that even if I didn't make it to the top 50, I could leave satisfied that my final performance was a success (to me, at least!)--something that I couldn't say for my experience in Hollywood in season 7!


IP: Are there any idol hopefuls that you still keep in contact with today?

SM: I am still in contact with Chris GoLightly, who unfortunately was booted from the top 24 this season because at the last minute he was deemed "ineligible" (per Fox's press statement). He would've been the only one in the top 24 that I was close to. I keep in touch with others from Hollywood Week via social networking. Thank God for Twitter, Facebook, and MySpace! If not, it would be very hard to keep in contact.


IP: What advice would you give to someone with the dream of being on American Idol?

SM: I would say that they should go for their dream, 110%! Regardless of whether or not they actually make it into the top 24, the experience is a wild one!!... and one that they will surely never forget. I would say that you also need to know who you are and/or who you want to be as an artist before you audition. Don't go in telling them that you can be whoever they want you to be and sing whatever they want you to sing. They want to see people who know themselves and can make every song their own. It is a singing competition, so SING your heart out and make that connection with the judges. It's all about connecting with people through your performance!


IP: What is the current project you are working on? Music? Acting? Career?

SM: Right now I have a full-time job in the non-profit sector here in Los Angeles, so I haven't had much of a chance to start working on a project. When I have time, I am hoping to get

back into recording. I have been writing stuff as it pops into my head on my long commute home, so I am eager to get back to being creative and finish working on what I have started! I have always loved acting, so that might be something that I take time to pursue as well. We'll see...I am still young, and there are so many options! I love music and I always want to have it be a part of my life, so for now, I am taking baby steps as I try to figure out how to proceed and make that happen. The first move might be to weekly hit up some open mic nights here around L.A. and meet other people to potentially collaborate with. I am still super shy so I don't know if I want to always stay a solo artist, but we'll see! In the meantim

e I also might be starting a YouTube page to post videos of myself singing. That is apparently the newest thing to do to promote yourself, and I have had numerous people tell me that I need to do that. So...I will let you know if I post anything! :)


IP: Who was your favorite contestant throughout the audition process?

SM: Hands down, Andrew Garcia! He is absolutely incredible! He first auditioned in Los Angeles with me, so I was sitting right behind him when the producers had him pick up his guitar and sing for the first time on camera. I was blown away!...And in that moment, I knew that he would go all the way. He is so unbelievably talented. He has an

amazing vocal ability and as you saw from his Hollywood Week auditions, he can do anything with a song! I am rooting for him this year. He has such a great story and truly deserves it.


IP: Who is your idol/role model and how have they inspired you?

SM: Vocally, my idol is Celine Dion. I honestly believe with all of my heart that she is the greatest female singer of all time. There is so much power that is released when she sings. Every word that comes from her mouth has such emotion! Her success and passion have inspired me to sing my best in every performance and to capture the true emotion of the lyrics whenever I sing a song. She is also a great role model when it comes to mixing work and family. When her husband got sick, she left singing for a while to be with him. She is a woman of honor who puts family first.


IP: What other seasons have you auditioned for?

SM: I first auditioned when I was 16, I think it was season 3. I made it past the first round, but got cut before I had a chance to audition for the celebrity judge panel. I also auditioned for season 7 and made it just as far as I did this time--top 74ish. They actually aired my audition in season 7 because my sister crazily flew in a paper airplane with a message for Simon! I didn't know she was planning on doing that until right before I walked in! Simon invited her in and she got to sit on his lap and help judge me. It was a super fun audition for the judges and made my nerves much calmer because she was in the room with me! Hollywood Week was great that year--I remember always eating with David Archuleta and his dad because I was too shy to go and talk to other contestants, LOL! It was a fun week and even more fun to see David make it into the top 2!


IP: Which idol contestant are you listening to in your CD/MP3 player?

SM: My favorite idol contestant of all time is Carrie Underwood. She is so genuinely sweet, an amazing singer, and she is absolutely gorgeous. Her music is awesome not only because she is a fabulous singer, but because her lyrics are just plain incredible. Some of her songs have honestly helped me through some hard times in my life. So she is really the only one in my CD player... I rotate her 3 CDs in and out! :)


IP: Any other insights and comments?

SM: American Idol has bee

n a great experience for me and I feel that the process has just pushed me more to succeed and never

give up! I am whoever I dream of becoming!...And while I am still figuring out the scope of that dream, Idol has for sure been some good inspiration for me. I have made some great friends/fans (like you!) along the way that are soooo supportive and for that, I am so grateful!




Photo Credit: AmericanIdol.com Season 7 and 9

0 comments: