IdolInterviews: Sarah Sellers

Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 by MiKey in Labels: ,
2

Hey there IdolPhenomena followers I recently had the opportunity to ask IdolContestant: Sarah Sellers some questions about her Idol journey. Here is is what she had to say.

IP: Could you describe what the audition process was like for you?

SS: This was actually my fifth time auditioning for American Idol, so the experience was familiar yet completely different at the same time. This was my first time to making it to Hollywood and the entire process was a complete blast.

Every year I’ve learned something different that I was able to take with me to the next audition. When you’re in that stadium with thousands of people a million things run through your mind, “could this be the year, or could this be the end of the road”? Since it was my last year to audition I was that much more determined to show the judges what I could do.

The long hours were so worth it and making it to Hollywood was a dream come true in its self. The vibe was amazing there and to be surrounded by so much talent just fuels you in so many ways. Overall it was a really great experience.

IP: What was your Hollywood Audition Song?

SS: I sang Love Sneakin’ Up on You by Bonnie Raitt and I took some inspiration from Joss Stone’s performance of the song. My roots lie in blues and soul music, so it was a perfect song to showcase my voice and style.

IP: How has the overall audition affected your life and music today?

SS: The response I’ve received following the audition has been incredible. I’ve received so many kind emails and words from people all over the world. It’s expanded my fan base on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube as well, which helps get my music out there to more people. It’s really helped motivate me to keep at it even though American Idol didn’t work out. I’m writing, singing, and playing more than I ever have.

IP: Do you have a notable memory to share with the IdolPhenomena followers?

SS: My favorite memory (besides performing on the Civic Center stage) from Hollywood Week was playing music with fellow contestants Luke James Shaffer and Jenna Maye. We had some down time in between auditions and it gave everyone a chance to bond with each other and get some practicing in. The three of us just found a space to practice and played music for a few hours. Being in a music environment and surrounded by talented people is my favorite place to be.

IP: Have you auditioned for any other reality TV show in the past?

SS: No American Idol has been the only one.

IP: I see that social networking has allowed many of the Idol contestants stay in contact is there anyone in particular that you like to keep in touch with?

SS: Oh man I keep in touch with quite a few. It’s really neat to see what everyone’s been up to and to keep up with everyone’s music. Idol definitely found some talented people this year for sure.

IP: What type of project are you currently working on?

SS: My day job takes up a lot of my time, but every spare moment I have I’m working on my music. I would love to get a 6 song EP written and recorded by the end of the year. That’s my main goal for sure. I’m just focusing on creating new tunes, posting videos for all of my awesome followers, and performing every chance I get. Music is my passion and what I want to do full-time, so I’m working on making that happen.

IP: What type of advice would you give someone that wants to try out of Idol?

SS: I would say just go for it and be confident. The first few times I auditioned I was so scared and it really showed through to the judges. They want to see that you can get up and perform in front of thousands of people, so own it. It is also important to have fun. The experience is so much fun and you meet so many different types of people that you might not ever meet in your day to day life. So soak it up and enjoy it.

IP: Who is your role model and how have they inspired you?

SS: My role model is my mother 100 %. She’s a soul singer and has gone through a lot of trials in her life. She’s the strongest person I know and has always been my biggest fan. Her help and guidance means the world to me because she’ll always be honest and push me to be better. It’s great having someone, especially a parent that has shared the same dream as you, because they understand that hunger and desire for music.

IP: Do you have a have a favorite contestant from anywhere in the audition process?

SS: It’s really neat watching the show and seeing the people you interacted and spent time with. I wouldn’t say that I have a favorite but I’m definitely excited to see some familiar faces progress through the competition. I just hope all the talent that was there really shines through, because there was some massive talent in Hollywood.

IP: Which past Idol is currently playing on your MP3 player?

SS: I definitely listen to a lot of Kelly Clarkson, especially her last album. I can’t wait to hear the new record.

IP: Do you have any other thoughts or insights for the IdolPhenomena audience?

SS: American Idol has been an incredible journey for me. Even though I didn’t make it to the end it was an experience I will always treasure and I’m excited to continue watching the rest of the season.

For all you Sarah Sellers fans out there I suggest you check out her YouTube Channel [here]. Also if you are on Twitter follow her @sarahjsellers. Also remember to Like her on Facebook [here].

Check out Sarah's amazing cover of Rolling InThe Deep by Adele below.


Check out more music by Sarah Sellers on her YouTube Channel [here].

Like her on Facebook [here].

Follow her on Twitter @SarahJSellers


2 comments:

  1. Unknown says:

    I know that voice well. There is so much Sandra in your soul. Thanks for putting yourself out there. Lov b

  1. Unknown says:

    I've known Sarah since she was a small child. She has grown into a beautiful woman on the inside and out. Her voice will leave a mark on this world and I know she will inspire many to come. What a great role model. kt